Monday 9 March 2015

Punk Collage experiments


Developing Practice in Graphic Arts


I consider this to be the most famous Punk artwork for which I am going to re-invent. This is inspired by the "100 Jazz Posters" by Mytton William, printing company in Bath.

Sex Pistols single cover designed by Reid

My re-designs / experiments

The Queen is less relevant today that she was in the 1970's when she was a symbol of jingoism and patriarchy.

The dominant patriarchal figure these days are the government and the Prime Minster. Punk was about liberation and having a free speech by subverting the established order. (Who was Magarat Thatcher when the Punk sub-culture started) 






The red is very loud and it almost makes it look dangerous and too immediate.



Playing on the national identity of the Union Jack, these two peices parodies the term "Great Britian" during the colonial time of the Great British Empire under Queen Victoria.  





This piece plays on the irony of working class versus national pride


Conclusion

The two mediums I have experimented with are felt tips and collage. The first three peices I am using icons and symbols: the national union jack and the figuire head.

On the last 2, the emphasis is on the written message. The illistration comes secondary because there is no symbols of flags or the union jack anywhere. I think it's inportant to realise this and think about my intentions for doing this.

Do I know any well known artists that also use collage/ photo montage in their work?

I've made a good start but I need to be not so modest and make work outside my sketchbook. (It's good for ideas but you aren't going to convince anyone this is the best peice of work if its in a sketchbook). Perhaps I can try Vinyl sizes, big and small (find out dimensions). Think about the form.


I'm planning to make lino cuts of Cameron, bibliography of the images