Thursday 19 March 2015

1960's Hippie stylistic conventions


I been looking at illustrations from the book "Classic Albulm Covers: The 60s" complied by Storm Thorgerson.

Here are my notes in spider diagram form:


Notably, I found a common theme running through some of these pieces were the symmetrical quality of them. They even reminded me of Hindu mosaics in a way. The depiction of some characters denotes grandeur or of a higher being. 







Besides this I noticed a lot of these designs used geometric shapes, mainly the circle.  This makes them look quite decorative, but also the circle represents having no start and no beginning (everlasting, eternalness). Some examples include:



This has given me good insight into what illustrations I can make. I've already got some new art materials, ready to draw/paint.