Monday 16 March 2015

Music subculture reading notes


Punk


Identifying examples of punk work and Situationalism and Expressionism as a Punk design device: "Use of urban landscape and its contents to subvert or antagonise established order" by using Boldness, heavy type etc

Planning to make some different punk designs using single printed colors half tone. (green, blue, red)


Funk

Did some further reading into Funk, trying understand the core ideas/character of the subculture.

I've identified the design conventions used are: Lively, bright colors, happy, groovy and magazines that I could look at are "WIRE" and "Straight no Chaser". Notable Funk icon would be James Brown. I need to start producing my own designs much quicker!





Acid

I've started to note down the evolution of the famous Acid symbol "the smiley face" and how it's evolved by designers reinventing it. 

Also identified the importance of acid music and Psychedelia and its hallucination kaleidoscope forms. (excuse me for my rough sketch of mirroring heads in a kaleidoscope pattern) 


Outcome

My goal is explore the subculture of each decade (each decade comes with its own wave of new sound and with it subculture and lifestyle)

60s: Hippie, Pschedelliac, Acid
70s: Punk
80s: Neoromanticism music
90s: Spice girls,
00s: Pop, Cheesy (Kylie Minogue)

To produce at least 6 LP covers in different mediums of each decade, with 1-2 really polished peices. In the next module to think about how to present them (e.g. website, published and bound etc). At present to produce the content first.