Tuesday 29 March 2016

Investigating vinyl and considering the appropriateness of continuous line


So I bought my own Vinyl from Fopp the other day of Hot Chips "Why Make Sense" and I was quite excited about opening it. It even had a free mp3 download code so I can collect the physical Vinyl and listen to it (without buying a Vinyl player)

I took some pictures. Due to the size of it, it felt tactile and that I really own something whereas if I just downloaded it from Itunes, it would just be something that's on your computer that you easily forget about.


I was interested in looking at the grooves in the vinyl. I know we take it for granted, but in a way it's like magic how these indentations on this surface can actually produce music that's a feast for the ears. I wonder how the grooves translate into different sounds. 


Another thing I realised were there were some more solid grooves that divide the smaller grooves into "sets". 

Figurative to Abstraction ?


So I have two approaches, drawing with continuous line or using pictorial representation. Pictorial is more about illustrating the lyrics and telling a story with them. On the other hand, the more abstract approach is continuous line which is about translating what the sound would look like by altering the quality of line. For example, loopy lines? jagged lines? pointy lines? big lines? small lines? 

I think continuous lines work better because they capture the essence of music more effectively. The continuous line represents the grooves that go round and round indefinitely.  The same set of lines are echoed throughout the drawing each time the same beat is repeated in the song. But at the same time as the song reaches different interludes, intros' and outros, its like a energy that is constantly changing.